Sometimes a blizzard can be a blessing in disguise. When all of Boston hunkered down for the great storm of 2010, this Nacho Patroller’s canceled flight led to a lovely side trip to Seattle, Washington. Originally on the hunt for seafood nachos in this great waterfront city, the lack of such options led to a visit to Peso’s Kitchen and Lounge, in the Queen Anne neighborhood. An authentic upscale Mexican restaurant in the vein of Zocalo, Cantina La Mexicana and Sol Azteca, we were drawn in by reports of their red chile skirt steak nachos, but found instead the green chile mole nachos, with ancho chile sauce, crema, asadero cheese and skirt steak.
- Appearance: (9) Oh, wow. Barely any chips were visible under the weight of all the toppings, and the green chile mole peeked coyly out from under the blanket of black beans. A few chips on the edges seemed a little burned.
- Quality of Ingredients: (9) The little bits of skirt steak were deliciously rare and perfectly seasoned. The asadero cheese was a delicious departure from the norm. The crema was so much more than we expected, a cooling, cilantro-tinged counterpoint to the slightly spicy mole sauce and black beans. Our only complaints were the guacamole, which while fresh, could have been a little more flavorful, and the homemade chips which were not strong enough to support all of the toppings.
- Distribution of Toppings: (10) There was so much going on here, we can’t recall finding a single naked chip (and indeed, the complimentary basket of chips on the side came in useful for scooping up extra toppings). The smooth green chile mole sauce contrasted perfectly with the chewiness of the steak and crunchy bits of salsa, and the copious black beans provided a solid base upon which the other toppings could play.
- Price: (9) $12 with steak is a bargain, considering how delicious these were.
- Overall: 37/40. Our highest rated nachos EVER! These were a wonderful flavor experience, undisputed champion of the foreign reviews and surpassing even the Pour House in score. Perhaps we are doing all our reviewing in the wrong city?