The nachos of Cleveland Circle have so far not been kind to us. CitySide (hereby dubbed ShittySide by Nacho Guest Patroler and Cleveland Circle resident Rox Con) was a gross disappointment, and we have yet to muster the fortitude to venture into the soul-crushing corporate abyss of that is Applebee’s (although considering how surprisingly well our other chain restaurant review went, we may want to suck it up and go sometime soon). There was one last beacon of hope on the horizon, and that was Roggies; but from the get go, things seemed grim. Despite the bouncer outside, the average age inside appeared to be 19; and the brims of baseball caps veered off at all sorts of angles, each douchier than the last. Yes, our Douchebag-O-Meters were going off the charts as the BC bros caroused over scorpion bowls and beer towers, at their first stop in a long night likely leading to slipping that special someone a roofie at Mary Ann’s. Even the rest of the menu looked dubious–raw oysters? Rainbow trout*, meaning of asterisk undetermined? Somehow, Roggies managed to transcend all of these portends and produce (could it be??!) good nachos!
- Appearance: (8.5) An array of colors and textures, that upon closer examination revealed far more toppings than originally expected. We’re taking off an extra half point for the plastic containers (not pictured) of salsa, sour cream and guacamole– how gauche!
- Quality of Ingredients: (8) Let’s play a game called, “Rarely Seen Ingredients In The Boston Nacho Scene.” Black olives? Check. Kidney beans? You betcha. A fresh vegetable that is not part of the salsa? Say no more! While everything else (chips, cheese, chili, guac) was good, it was the little details that pushed these nachos over the top.
- Distribution of Toppings: (9) Massive amounts of melted cheese can never hurt, and while there were some naked chips, there was plenty of use for them, scooping up extra toppings.
- Price: (6) At $12, on par for the area but not particularly outstanding.
- Overall: 31.5. We have it on good authority that this is one of the only things this place does right. Still, at least they are good at something! If you are in the area and need nachos, this is likely your best bet.