Crips and Bloods, 2ge+her and Whoah, BU and BC: they don’t mix well. (Although if you tossed all of them together, things could get interesting). Hockey rivalries aside, students from the two big B-Line colleges rarely interact outside of the neutral territory that is Allston. But nachos know no color, creed, or mascot, and in the search for the best nachos in Boston, we do not discriminate; so in the interest of intercollegiate goodwill and cooperation (and maybe a little espionage), two BU grads ventured where few had gone before: the end of the C line. The frat boys were out in full force, the girls were Catholic and under-dressed, and on this particular Saturday evening, all were preparing for a night of binge drinking and debauchery at CitySide. We, however, were there for the nachos:
- Appearance: (8) Patriotic and gooey, though lacking in green. This was our own fault, we forgot to order guacamole.
- Quality of Ingredients: (6) Two kinds of cheese, excellently melted. The chili was oddly sweet, something we haven’t encountered since the Beantown Pub. Still, it was tasty enough. The chips were stale; stale enough to put a damper on the nacho experience as a whole. The salsa tasted exactly like that found in the BU dining hall; fine cuisine, no, but welcome nostalgia. No black olives (sad face), but no jalapeños either; we call this a draw.
- Distribution of toppings: (7) As soon as these showed up at the table we knew there would be a problem– the naked chips were out, and they were proud (not something you can say about many BC students). The salsa and sour cream on top, per usual, created a bit of a distribution nightmare, even when we resorted to forks.
- Price: (5) $12, easily demolished by two. Maybe that’s the norm for this part of town, but our trust funds consist of $200 in birthday money collected from Grandma over the years. Next time we are in the mood for $12 nachos, you can catch us at Sunset with five of our closest friends.
- Overall: (26) Been there, done that. BC sucks, especially at nachos.