If you’ve ever been to Allston, Massachusetts, you know it isn’t exactly a high class destination. On an average Wednesday night, you’re liable to see more than a few coeds passed out in bushes and your fair share of homeless drunks. Yes, Nacho Patrol loves Allston. They love it so much that they avoid it all costs. They go out of their way to drive around it and they tend to block out any ineluctable visits, mentally categorizing them as traumatic life events. As one might guess, this has made Patrolling our most recent nacho destination, The Avenue, all the more difficult.
The Avenue has everything you might expect from a “college bar.” $1.50 drafts of shitty beer, extreme fighting on one television and bikini models on another, unlimited opportunities for bromance, and copious drunk thugs attempting to hit on you (places we’d recommend Doc Martens and a burka–check). They boast having “like a hundred” taps (according to our waitress), but in reality have about 20, at least 1/5 of them Budweiser products. But for the nacho connoiseur, they also have a nice selection of nachos–everything from your average cheese to your more advanced chicken and chili. On this particular Sunday night, the six of us enjoyed the chili nachos (they were out of gauc…how sad).
Disclaimer: It was far into the night, and we have little recollection of the details of these nachos, save for a very dark photo on a cellphone and a memory of general satisfaction.
- Appearance: ( 8 ) Pretty tasty-looking?
- Quality of Ingredients: (6) Everything was good, but the chili was too watery making the chips moist and floppy. It also was rather flavorless–something you could easily make at home.
- Distribution of Toppings: ( 8 ) more cheese than you can shake a stick at made for excellent distribution. We wished they had guac, but as Skyler confessed, we “like that they have lots of cheese.”
- Price: ( 7 ) $10 split 6 ways
- Overall: (29) Good, but not very memorable. Part of that may be our problem, though we venture that many of the people who eat the nachos here will be in the same state.