Nacho Patrol is, in the end, a taco-fest; in between painting each other’s nails, all of those lingerie pillow fights, and squealing over the dreamy men of “Lost”, we have little time to worry about sports. The Fenway area holds little appeal to us save for those few nights when one of us gets a hankering for some bromance, or when Smash lures you into watching the Celtics at Game On with wine in individual juice boxes and you wake up in her bed wearing unfamiliar pants. But one fateful night, we found ourselves in the neighborhood and decided to give the Cask & Flagon a try. The Minnesota Raiders were playing a rousing game of cricket against the Philadelphia Supersonics, and we were sampling the Deluxe Nachos with Chili.
- Appearance: A tall pile of tri-colored chips with an appealing layer of melted cheese. Hints of chili peeked out cocquettishly from beneath the top layer. Sour cream and guacamole were poured atop a bed of shredded lettuce which, while utterly superfluous, did all a nice dash of color (8).
- Quality of Toppings: The chips were not made in-house but were still rather tasty. The guacamole was from a container and had a very odd, off-putting flavor. We ended up scraping it off, which, considering how much we love guacamole, illustrates just how bad it was. The chili contained both ground beef and whole kidney beans, which we enjoyed. The cheese was average but consistently melted (6).
- Distribution of Toppings: The guacamole and sour cream made it difficult to get to the bulk of the nachos. There may have been a bit too much chili, as we had trouble finding chips that we could eat with our fingers. A number of chips ended up being so soggy as to be unappetizing. Still, there was sufficient cheese, making these nachos a not-unpleasant experience (7)
- Price: For $11, we want something we won’t be able to finish. We put these away with some difficulty, but we still did it (7).
- Overall: 28/40. A decent but not very memorable nacho.
Three months and three bars into our quest, we have still not found a quality nacho in the Fenway area. We will continue to search, but the prospects seem dim…